About St Mark’s Cathedral
The Anglican Cathedral Church of St Mark the Evangelist is situated in the city of George in South Africa. George is a city with a population of some 220 000 and is set in the heart of the popular Garden Route, with the majestic Outeniqua mountains as a backdrop and surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Nearby are some of the remaining magnificent indigenous forests of the area and about 10 km to the south lies the Indian Ocean with long sandy beaches at the Wilderness and beyond while the smaller Victoria Bay is a favourite spot for surfers.
The Cathedral is the seat of the Bishop of George who presides over the widespread Diocese of George, extending from Swellendam in the west to Plettenberg Bay in the east and inland to Ladismith, Beaufort West and Graaff Reinet.
The Cathedral is an attractive stone building designed by Sophy Gray, wife of the first Bishop of Cape Town, and dates back to 1849 when the corner stone was laid. The then parish church was consecrated by Bishop Gray on 7 December 1850 and it was granted cathedral status in 1911.